Thursday, October 29, 2009

Pumpkin Shaped Meringues


It has taken me forever to get on here and post something. Last week was Fall vacation for the boys and my oldest become very ill on saturday. It got worse and worse. He had The Flu. For the next 5 days his fever never went below 102 and his poor body was covered in a fever rash. Thankfully, today is the first day with no fever of any kind. He is back to eating a little and continuing to drink fluids. My world stops turing when the boys are sick. I can deal better when it's a simple cold but when their bodies are raging with fever and they are so pale..... I can't think straight. So this week has been a tad on the stressful side and I'm happy to say this week is almost over and I'm glad for it! When he is telling me that he's actualyl so bored that school sounds good, I know he's getting better!

So Halloween is saturday! It's so hard to get into the spirit of it when you live in a country that doesn't recognise it. I see glimpses of it here and there, maybe a witch hanging in the window but thats about it. Last year I grew my own pumpkins and we had enough to each decorate. If I told you the price of pumpkins here you probably wouldn't believe me. This year we aren't doing anything to special. Im going to bake some cupcakes and buy the boys some candy. My cupcakes needed a topper and these super adorable pumpkin shaped meringues fit the bill! I will share the cupcake recipe with you on saturday. They are really moist and delicious! These meringues have a nice spice taste to them and they are perfect bite sized little treats.

Spiced Meringues
2 Egg Whites
1/4 ts. Ground Ginger
1/4 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
Dash of Gound Cloves
1/2 tsp. Vanilla
1/8 tsp. Cream of Tartar
2/3 cup Sugar

Preheat oven to 300 or 150 celcius. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside or lightly grease it.

In a medium bowl beat egg whites,spices,vanilla, and cream of tartar with electric mixer on high speed till soft peaks form.

Add the sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form. ** At this point if you want to make the pumpkins, take a small amount out for the stems and place in a bowl. Add in enough equal parts of red and yellow dye to egg white mixture for the pumpkin color. Take green and add a small amount to the stem mixture and combine. Place mixture into pastry bag and pipe out fat little pumpkins using a large star tip. Take another bag and place green mixture inside and pipe small stems onto pumpkins.**

If you want to make meringues,drop by rounded teaspoons 2inches apart. Bake for 20minutes or till firm and bottoms are very lightly browned. Transfer cookies to a wire rack and let cool.