Thursday, October 8, 2009

Orange Marmalade Muffins


A grocery store I shop at here carries foods from all over..including certain american foods. I can get Trader Joe's nuts,juices and other snack foods once and awhile. I love walking the aisles because I never know what I'm going to find. I spotted jars of orange and lemon marmalade and bought one of each kind. I've never had it before..I'm a jelly girl myself but I knew you could use it as a base for making other dishes.

When I made these muffins I will admit that I was a bit taken back by the flavor. In all honesty I didn't know much about marmalade and when I scopped 1/2 cup full into the bowl I went ahead and tasted it..thinking it was going to be a thicker version of jam. I wasnt prepaired for the almost slight bitter taste to it and then I spotted all the zest and rind pieces in there. I wasnt sure what to expect from these muffins. I was hoping they wouldn't come out bitter tasteing. I skipped the glaze and made my own because I didn't want to over power the muffin with even more marmalade. I handed a muffin to my husband and took once myself...we were both really surprised at how good it tasted. There is a very slight bitter type taste to it but not enough to make you cringe. If you aren't a fan of zest then this might not be a recipe for you but in all honesty they were really light,flavorful and not at all what I expected. I used a simple glaze of powdered sugar and thinned it out with orange juice. I think next time I will try the marmalade glaze and see wich we like better.

Orange Marmalade Muffins..Makes 12
1-3/4 cups Flour
1/3 cup Sugar
2 tsp. Baking Powder
3/4 tsp. Salt
2 Eggs
1/3 cups Milk
1/2 cup Orange Marmalade
1/3 cup Butter; Melted
Icing:
1/4 cup Orange Marmalade
1 TBL Butter; Softened
1 cup Powdered Sugar

Pre heat oven to 400 or 200 celcius. Grease muffin cups and set aside. In a large bowl beat eggs; add milk, marmalade, and melted butter. Add dry ingredients; mix just until combined. Fill muffin tins 2/3 full. Bake 15-20 minutes. Cool in pan for a few minutes and them remove and cool completely.

For icing combine all ingredients and spread onto cooled muffins.