Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Nutella Gelato


During the summer I think about homemade ice cream..everyother time of the year I am wishing I could have the flavors from back home. I realise it doesn't make sense since I can take the time to create the flavors here..wich I am going to push myself to do because the ice cream here is horrible. I have tried chocolate ice cream before but alot of the recipes call for cocoa and I've decided that I just do not like that flavor in my ice cream. I want the creamy milk chocolately stuff and for me I don't get that with cocoa based recipes. I've also noticed if you do want the creamy factor you have to add in egg yolks. I know alot of people are put off by that but honestly you are still cooking up the egg yolks in the mixture and we ate this lastnight and we're still walking around today:)

I spotted this recipe over at What A Dish! I stumbled across her recipe blog months ago and I'm so glad I did. She has the best recipes and she is an expat like me so that makes her twice as cool. The original recipe is from Giada and calls for toasted Hazelnuts to be sprinkled on the top. I didn't have any so I left those out. I will add those next time and maybe some mini marshmallows if I can find them..turn it into a rocky road kind of ice cream. This was seriously creamy good with a hint of the nutella in there. Total keeper for sure!

Nutella Gelato
2 cups Whole Milk
1 cup Heavy Cream
1/2 cup Sugar,PLUS 1/4 cup
4 Egg Yolks
1/2 tsp. Vanilla
1/2 cup chocolate-hazelnut spread..Nutella
1/2 cup Toasted Hazelnuts for garnishment;Optional

In a saucepan combine the milk,cream, and 1/2 cup sugar over medium heat. Cook until the sugar dissolves; about 5 minutes.

Meanwhile in a medium bowl whip the egg yolks with the remaining sugar using an electric mixer until the yolks have become thick and pale yellow; about 4 minutes. Pour 1/2 cup of the warm milk and cream mixture into the egg mixture and stir. Add this mixture back into the saucepan. Cook over very low heat,stirring constantly, until the mixture becomes thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon; About 3-7minutes.

Place strainer above a medium bowl and pour the warm custard mixture through the strainer. Stir in the vanilla and nutella until it dissolves. Chill mixture completely before adding to ice cream machine. Follow manufacturer's instructions to freeze. Transfer to a freezer safe container until hard.