Friday, October 2, 2009

Honey Dijon Smothered Chicken


Fall has hit The Netherlands. We have gone from bright blue sunny skies to grey,rain and cold. The leaves are falling out of the sky like snow and I'm loving every single second of it. I say this now of course but trust me 4 or 5 months from now I'm going to be begging for signs of spring. For now though I love it. I love the dark days,the first signs that winter is coming and hopefully a day of snow. We don't get alot of snow here but enough to make a decent snowman.

Yesterday was a cold one and I wanted to make something hot. I found a winner. My husband couldn't stop talking about how much he loved it and my oldest son was caught licking his plate. Sadly my youngest isn't a fan of mustard of any kind so I made something else for him. I don't usually do things like that but if I know one of them specifically doesn't like a certain ingredient I don't torture them with it. Luckily I have seriously good eaters so that doesn't happen often. This really was a great meal. The chicken was smothered in homemade honey mustard and covered with cheese,mushrooms and bacon. You can not go wrong with this combo. It isn't the most heart healthy meal but it sure was good! The recipe was found on the Taste of Home website.

Honey Dijon Smothered Chicken
1/2 cup Dijon Mustard
1/2 cup Honey
4-1/2 tsp. Oil
1/2 tsp. Lemon Juice
4 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
2 cups Sliced Mushrooms
1 cup Shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
1 cup Shredded Cheddar(I used all cheddar since they dont sell the other here)
8 Bacon Strips;partially cooked: I hate limp bacon so I cooked mine up and crumbled it over the chicken.

In a small bowl, combine the mustard,honey,1-1/2 tsp oil, and the lemon juice. Pour 1/2 cup into a large resealable plastic bag; Add in chicken. Seal the bag and turn to coat; Refrigerate for 2 hrs. Cover and refrigerate remaining marinade.

Heat oven to 375 or 190 celcius. Grease an 11x7 dish and set aside. Drain and discard marinade from chicken. In a large skillet on medium heat brown chicken in remaining oil on all sides. Season with salt and pepper and transfer to baking dish.

In same skillet sautee mushrooms in a bit of butter until tender. If you want you can also cook the bacon along with the mushrooms wich is what I did. Pour remaining marinade over chicken. Top with cheese,mushrooms and bacon. If using partially cooked bacon place on top in a criss cross pattern over chicken. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked.