Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Homemade Dulce de Leche


If you have a can of sweetened condensed milk and have 3 hours to kill, you too can make your own Dulce de Leche! I can't find caramels here...at all. I can however find sweetened condensed milk. After scoring a ton of different websites on how to make my own I went with this version. It's soooooo good..like reallllly good. Im going to use it with some apples tomorrow..so come back for that.

Basically there really isnt a recipe. Take a can or two of sweetened condensed milk,take the lables off and put them in a big pot on their sides. Fill it with water and place the lid on..super important here. You want the water 2-3 inches above the cans and do not let it go below that! There have been stories of people not doing this and the cans exploding. Bring it to a boil,take it down to a simmer and cook it for 3 hours. I checked it every 15-20 minutes to make sure there was enough water in there and to roll the cans around so they don't always stay on one side. If you want a runnier version you can cook it for less..around 1 hr and 30minutes to 2 hrs.

However I wanted it thicker so I could thin it out the way I wanted. After it's done cooking, carefully take it out and allow it to cool before opening the can up. Store in airtight container in the fridge. I imagine this will last awhile due to the high sugar content. I don't imagine it will last long in our house.