Monday, October 5, 2009

Homemade Croutons


Croutons are so crazy easy to make you'll be asking yourself why you didn't do this along time ago. I asked that same question of myself when I made them this weekend. I was at the store and wanted croutons for a salad but did a double take when I saw the price of the teenie weenie bags they sell here. I picked the bag up and could tell they were really small cubes and seriously rock hard. No thank you! I came home and made my own. The house smelled like garlic bread when I was done and my husband couldn't stop talking about how good they were and how we are never going to buy them from a store again. I couldn't stop eating them either and found myself popping in them into my mouth left and right as I made dinner. I hope you give this a shot. It's easy,super cheap and you can mix and match the seasonings to your liking.

Croutons
3 slices Bread; cut into small cubes
3 TBLS Melted Butter OR Olive Oil..I used butter
Garlic;Minced (I used minced garlic from a jar)
Seasonings:Italian,Garlic Salt..whatever you like

Pre heat oven to 400 degrees or 200 celcius. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside. Pour bread cubes into bowl. Melt butter and add minced garlic and seasonings of choice. Take off heat and add a small amount to bread and toss to coat,add more butter and toss again. You want the bread cubes to be totally covered so keeping tossing until all butter has been added and bread is covered. Pour onto cookie sheet and bake until toasty and brown**Keep an eye on them because they can brown and become toasty fairly quickly..about 5-7mins or so** Stir half way though cooking. You can also cook at a lower temp,say around 350..it will just take a few minutes longer to crisp up.

This amount was enough for the 4 of us to have some on each of our salads. You can make as much as you want, just adjust ingredients accordingly.