Friday, October 16, 2009

Buttermilk Chicken Sandwich


It's been a really long strange week. I wish I had something exciting to post about..but I don't. It's been a stormy week wich has kept me inside most of the time. I have spent it working around the house and getting things in order. I'd rather be driving around and exploring new places but thats how it goes sometimes.

Tonight was the first night I made something new. This sandwich is more of an idea than a recipe. It can be made up many different ways depending on your taste. I go through periods where I crave chicken and I get tired of making it the same way. I was thinking lastnight of making buttermilk chicken strips and the idea popped into my head to just make a sandwich out of it all. It worked big time and Im already planning what changes I will make next time. When you marinate chicken in buttermilk it becomes very tender and juicy. I see me slathering it with some honey mustard and putting some bacon on top..or maybe a chicken,bacon,lettuce and tomato sandwich, or some melted mozzarella with grilled onions and mushrooms..hmm mmm good.

Buttermilk Chicken Sandwiches
4 Boneless Chicken Breasts
2 cups Buttermilk
Seasonings of choice
Flour
Toppings: Bacon,cheese,bacon,onions,mushrooms,etc

Place 1 chicken breast between a layer of plastic wrap and pound until desired thinness. You want it to be nice and tender so don't leave it to thick;repeat with remaining chicken breasts. Place chicken breasts into a bowl and cover with buttermilk. Add in choice of seasoning and mix through. Cover with plastic wrap and marinate in fridge for atleast 5-6 hours but can leave it over night.

Place enough flour in bowl to coat chicken..2 cups or so. Season flour with your favorite seasonings;I used chili powder,oregano,garlic and salt powder,ground sage,salt and pepper. Take chicken out of marinade making sure to keep buttermilk and place chicken on plate. Dip chicken in flour,then back into buttermilk and then back into flour. Place chicken into heated frying pan with oil;repeat with other breasts. Cook over medium high heat making sure to let the coating crisp up before turning over carefully. This is where you can get creative. When the chicken is done place on a bun with choice of toppings. You can make a CBLT;chicken,bacon,lettuce and tomato or a Honey Dijon Chicken Sandwich,or BBQ. The possibilites are endless.