Monday, October 19, 2009

Apple Turnovers

Do you ever go through periods where you never get around to making anything new? I was like that last week. I have weeks and weeks of always trying something new and then I have a small burn out and need to recharge. I've decided I just need to win the lottery because there are so many things I want to learn with cooking and baking and I need cooking equipment,baking pans,cake molds,and a private instructor to help me out:) Don't we all wish!

This weekend I make Apple turnovers with puff pastry! yum yum. We have whats called Appelflap here and it's just like a turnover. I never really ate them back home but I just love the ones they sell here! It gave me the idea of trying it myself and Im pretty happy with it! My puff pastry is way different than the stuff back home. I looked online and they come in sheets whereas mine was just a long piece. So the recipe Im giving worked with my puff pastry..wich made 6 large ones like in the photo.

Apple Turnovers..Makes 6 large turnovers
1 pkg Puff Pastry..thawed if needed.
1-3/4 cups Peeled,Cored and finely chopped Granny Smith Apples
1/3 cup Brown Sugar
1 TBS Butter
1/4 tsp. Cinnamon
1/8 tsp. Nutmeg
1/3 cup Water
1 TBS Flour
1 tsp. Sugar

Preheat Oven to 400 or 200 celcius. Place apples and water in a saucepan and bring to a boil;Reduce heat to simmer and add all other ingredients except for butter. Simmer for 5 minutes or until apples are very tender. Bring to a 2nd boil for 1 minute,take off heat and stir in butter. Set aside to cool.

On a,lightly floured surface roll out puff pastry. Using a pizza cutter slice into 6 squares. Place cooled apple mixture evenly on all 6 squares,fold over into a triangle and seal with a fork. Bake on a greased cookie sheet for 20mins or until golden brown.

** You can add ane gg wash on top and sprinkle regular sugar or vanilla sugar on top wich is what I did. You can also make a glaze to go over the top when you pull them out. Use a simple powdered sugar glaze and drizzle over the top.Best served warm**

** To my Dutch friends. I went to AH and bought the puff pastry there. It slices up perfectly to make 6 large turnovers.**

5 comments:

mub said...

I love making appleflappen and right now is the perfect time of year for them! You can get the sheets here too. They come in 10x10 cm squares in the freezer section =)

Cassie said...

YUM! I could wax poetic about my love for puff pastry all day long...but I'll spare you. :) The turnovers look incredible!

What A Dish! said...

I think my daughter had an apple turnover in the Netherlands, but I can't remember. It was good though, whatever it was! I'll have to try making more stuff with puff pastry.

Adrienne said...

Hi. Thanks for you comment about the rolls. I consulted my mom (her recipe) about using butter in place of shortening and she thinks it would work. You may have to add a little more flour to reach the right consistency. Good Luck!

The girl with the flour in her hair said...

Oh, that looks soo good! Yum.

Thanks for stopping by and commenting on my pictures! Of course I have room for 4 more! Come on by anytime! ;)