Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Yogurt Muffins...


Wow Im so glad we're all feeling better. I got lucky and only had some mild symptoms. I don't know about you, but when someone is sick in the house I get the overwhelming urge to clean everything and air the house out when it's over! I have a feeling that today and tomorrow are our last warm days so I took the opportunity to wash all bedding and open up every dang window in the house.

I also made some muffins this morning and the house smells like pineapple :o) muffins are a great way to get a nice breakfast into you or the kiddos. I served these with some scrambled eggs and the boys loved them. You can use whatever kind of yogurt you want. I will give the original recipe but I mixed and matched this time around with pineapple yogurt with lemon zest. The muffins came out moist and you get a nice hint of whatever type of yogurt you put in there. I imagine if you used a bolder flavor like orange or lemon combined with the zest the flavor might come through more.

Orange Yogurt Muffins..makes 12
1-3/4 cups. Flour
1/2 cup Sugar
2 tsp. finely shredded Orange Zest
1 tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 Egg; Beaten
1- 8 ounce Orange yogurt..or other flavor of your choice
1/3 cup Vegetable Oil
1 tsp. Vanilla
1/2 cup Powdered Sugar..optional
1-2 tsp. Orange Juice..optional


Pre heat oven to 400 degrees or 200 celcius. Grease 12 cup muffin tin and set aside. In a medium mixing bowl combine flour,sugar,zest, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.

In another bowl combine the egg, yogurt, oil, and vanilla; mix until combined. Pour all at once into flour mix and stir just until moistened..it's ok if there are lumps :) Fill muffin cups 2/3 full and bake for 18-20 mins or until golden. Cool in pan for 5 minutes and transfer to wire rack. ** If you want a glaze to go on the muffins combine the powdered sugar and orange juice;drizzle over muffins**

Note: You can easily mix and match the flavors. I took a pineapple yogurt and added in some lemon zest. I am not a big fan of zest so I almost never use the original amount when called for.