Friday, September 11, 2009

Homemade Caramel Corn aka "Crack Corn"


So yesterday I told you what I would make with my homemade corn syrup today? Well sadly it didn't turn out yet again. It stayed in liquid form for about 15 minutes and then it crystalised again. I have no clue whats going on. So I was out of sugar. I looked up substitutions for corn syrup and it mentioned honey. This was seriously turning into a big pain in the butt. I wanted to surprise my two boys with caramel corn when they came home from school and what should have taken me a short time was turning into hours at this point! Not to be broken I pressed on. I'm glad I did because this stuff seriously rocks. I need to change the name to " Crack Corn" because it's super addictive.

I found this recipe from Our Best Bites. I seriously love that blog and have so many things bookmarked to make it's not even funny. I had to change the directions slightly because they made it using the microwave and I wanted to use the stove top. If you want their directions head over there and check it out. We totally inhaled this wich I should probably feel guilty about but I don't. Needless to say I walked extra long today..2.5 miles to be exact. That way I can keep eating this stuff without feeling to guilty!! On a side note when using honey as a substitute..keep in mind that using it can and will change the over all taste of what you are making. It worked really well with this caramel corn but that doesn't mean it will work with all the other things you can make with the syrup.

Caramel Corn
12 cups Popped Popcorn
1 cup Brown Sugar
1/4 cup Karo Syrup OR Honey
1/2 tsp. Salt (is using salted microwave popcorn,omit the salt)
1/2 cup Butter
1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
1 tsp. Vanilla


Place popcorn is a really big bowl(bigger than you think you will need. It makes mixing the caramel corn alot easier if you have plenty of room to work with)...Make sure there are no un-popped kernels!; set aside.

Place brown sugar,syrup,salt and butter in saucepan. Bring to boil stirring constantly and then leave alone without stirring for 3 mins-5 mins while it boils. It will start to foam and turn a pretty caramel color. Take it off the heat and mix in the baking soda and vanilla.

Pour mixture onto the popcorn and mix with a wooden spoon fairly quickly before it starts getting harder to work with. At this point you do one of two things. You can eat it as is..kinda chewy but not crispy. The second is to cook it on the oven at 300 degrees or150 celcius for 30 minutes,stirring every 10 minutes. Spread it out on a cookie sheet or sheets and give it a quick stir. I poured it into a bowl after it was done and when it cooled I broke it up and served it. I baked mine in the oven but next time Im going to eat it without that step. I really loved it when it was super chewy.