Friday, September 18, 2009

Homemade Maple Syrup


I pay in dollars 4.39 for a bottle of maple syrup here. I discovered that they were selling it last year. I got scared and bought 3 bottles. I finally ran out the other day when I wanted to make some pancakes for breakfast. Instead of waiting until I go shopping I went ahead and made my own. In my effort to cut down on the grocery bill anywhere I can I was glad to see you could infact make your own. I made it yesterday and poured it into our empty syrup bottle. I served it with breakfast this morning and I'm happy to say it went over very well. You will notice differences though.I notice the instant I make something homemade the taste and texture can be slightly off due to the fact that I don't add all the preservitives that the store bought brand has. There is no corn syrup in this version so you don't get the thick syruppy thing and the maple flavoring is a bit different. Once I put it on the pancakes though it was fine,tasted perfect and I think I will just keep making my own. The neat thing is, if you have other flavorings such as butter,banana or strawberry you could replace it for the maple extract and come up with some cool syrup flavors.
Maple Syrup
1 cup Sugar
1 cup Brown Sugar..you can use all white sugar if you want!
1 cup water
1 tsp. Maple Extract
Place everything but the extract in a saucepan and bring to a boil;stirring constantly. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 2 minutes stirring often. Take off heat,add in the extract and stir to combine. Cool and store in fridge.