Friday, September 25, 2009

Homemade Cream Puffs


Yesterday I was sitting on the couch thinking about making homemade pudding. I really miss the pudding mixes from the U.S..The pudding here is so odd. It's not creamy but more airy and frothy and then it can be seriously watery. I'm not sure what their mixes have but it doesnt cut it for me. So I went hunting for pudding and ended up making cream puffs with homemade pudding..yeah I'm sure you could see how those two would come together like that..lol Now I have never eaten nor made a cream puff before so I have some questions..It's a no brainer that you have to use alot of eggs. I looked all over and everyone used atleast 4 eggs. My question is, how do you cut down on the "eggy" taste? I cooked them all the way because they were nice and fluffy on the inside but there was no way around that eggy taste. Is that normal? Even when I mixed whipping cream in with the pudding and filled them, it still had the taste.

Im thinking of adding in a small amount of vanilla or almond the next time I make it because that was a big let down. Im really impressed though with how seriously easy these are to make!! If I can re-work that taste issue I could see myself making these again.

Cream Puffs..makes 12
1 cup Water
1/2 cup Butter
1/8 tsp. Salt
1 cup Flour
4 Eggs
Whipped Cream,Pudding,or Ice Cream,Powdered Sugar

In a medium sauceapn combine the water,butter, and salt. Bring to a boil. Add flour all at once,stirring vigorously. Cook and stir until mixture forms a ball that doesn't seperate..the whole process only takes a minute or two. Remove from heat and cool 10mins.

Pre heat oven to 400 degrees or 200 celcius. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. When cooled add eggs one at a time,beating well with a wooden spoon after each one. Drop by 12 heaping tablespoons full onto parchment lined cookie sheet. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden. Cool on wire rack.

Fill with whipped cream,pudding or ice cream and sifted powdered sugar on top. I went ahead and poked a hole in some of mine,took the tops off or split them open. I wanted to dry all methods to see which worked best.