Thursday, September 10, 2009

Homemade Corn Syrup


You can add corn syrup on the never ending list of things you can't get in the netherlands. I know there are some items that are supposed to be like it but I have never seen them. In reality it's not to hard to make this yourself..I say this of course after ruining the first batch and praying the second one works because I have no sugar left after this. The important step is making sure you stay within the " softball " stage and no going over like I did. The first time around it was grainy,goopy and not at all like it was supposed to be. I honestly don't know what I did wrong because I used a candy thermometer both times. Oh well, it turned out the second time:o) It still isn't totally like the store bought stuff but as long as it does the job then it doesn't matter. So do you want to know what I made with it? I hope so..lol Come back tomorrow and I will show you!! ** UPDATE: It clumped again..I have no idea what I'm doing wrong***
Corn Syrup
2 cups Sugar
3/4 cup Water
1/4 tsp. Cream of Tartar..you need this,don't leave out
1 pinch Salt
Combine all ingredients in large saucepan. Bring to a boil,stirring constantly. Reduce heat to simmer and cover the pan with a lid for 3 minutes to get the sugar crystals off the sides of the pan. Uncover and simmer, stirring often until it reacher soft ball stage.. about 235 degrees.. Cool and store in covered container at room temperature for up to 2 months. Makes about a cup or a little over.