Thursday, September 3, 2009

Greek Chicken Stuffed Pitas


The first cold of the season has hit our household. Everyone has it but me..wich I'm very thankful for. There is nothing worse than being sick yourself while trying to take care of everyone else. I'm showing the first symptoms of the cold and I'm hoping I can beat it. We're also waiting on confirmation of a possible swine flu case in my oldest sons class. This should be really interesting to say the least.

Before everyone got the sniffles we ate this wonderful meal that came from Cassie Craves. She has awesome recipes so make sure you head over there to check them out for yourself. The chicken tastes really refreshing and the Tzatziki sauce that is served with it really makes the meal in my opinion. I went ahead and took a shortcut and bought the sauce already made. They sell it all over here and we love it. You can also slice up grannysmith apples and mix some of the sauce with it as a side dish..yum yum. If you want the recipe to make it, head over to Cassie Craves and get it there.

Greek Chicken Stuffed Pitas
Boneless Chicken..I used 5
4 cloves of Garlic;smashed
Juice of 1 Lemon
2 tsp. Red Wine Vinegar
2 TBL. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 TBL.(heaping) Plain Yogurt
1 TBL. Dried Oregano
Salt and Pepper
Sliced Tomatoes
Sliced Red Onions
Pitas or Gyros

Whisk together the garlic,lemon juice, vinegar, oil, yogurt, and oregano in a bowl. Add the chicken and rub marinade in. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.

Preheat large skillet or grill over medium heat. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper on both sides, saute until cooked. Transfer to plate and cool slightly,slice chicken into pieces. Heat Pitas or gyros and stuff with chicken,tomatoes,onions and sauce.

** Ok on to my changes. I went ahead and chopped up all the chicken into bite sized pieces and then marinated it. I left out the onions and instead added in lettuce to make the meal go farther. Serve with a side of salad.**