Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Diner Style Hashbrowns


My hasbrowns used to be a total failure. There, I've said it. I could seriously spackle the walls with my sticky gooey concoction. I tried all sorts of ways to make them better. I microwaved the potatoes for a few minutes,I let them soak in water, I prayed to the potato god to please let them turn out just once. Nothing worked. Until now.

I was missing diner food from back home. You don't eat out here like you do there. My days of getting up and going out to breakfast are over..way over. Infact I don't think there is even a resturant here thats open for breaksfast. The reason for that? the dutch live off of bread and cheese for breakfast and sometimes lunch aswell..seriously. Bread,cheese and bucket loads of coffee. It's no wonder these people are so darn thin. However while in Amsterdam I did notice that they had places open and they advertised a true english breakfast wich included sausage,eggs,toast and BAKED BEANS! thats another no no. Anyway as always I'm getting off track..lack of normal contact with english speaking people I think. I found a website that had some great diner style recipes and one being the hasbrowns. I made them. They were perfect in every way you can think of. So incase there are others like me out there..give this recipe a shot!

Hashbrowns
1/2 lb or more Potatoes,unpeeled and quartered
Salt and Pepper to taste
2 T Butter
2 T Vegetable Oil
2 T Finely chopped fresh chives or Parsley; Garnishment
Grated Onion;Optional

Place potatoes in a saucepan with lightly salted cold water to cover the potatoes. Place lid on and bring to a boil. Uncover,reduce heat medium and simmer no more than 5 minutes.** They should be barely tender when pierced with a fork. ** Drain and set aside until cool enough to handle. (I made these the night before and popped them into the fridge.)

Shred the potatoes on the large holes of a box/shredder held over a mixing bowl. Toss lightly with salt and pepper and add in the onions at this time if using them. Over medium heat melt butter and oil together.

Place hashbrowns in pan; with back of spatula, gently press down to form a compact even mass of 1-1 1/2 inch thick. Don't worry if the edges are uneven. Fry until underside becomes crispy, about 5 mins. Flip and cook for another 4-mins. Sprinkle with chopped chives or parsley.