Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Cinnamon Swirl Quick Bread


Our weather has a serious personality disorder. It goes from dark stormy mornings to beautiful blue skies in the afternoon. I have two big windows in my living room and the front window showed dark grey clouds with rain coming down and the back window had sunlight pouring in from the sun! I've never had such large windows in my house until I moved here. The way the windows open are different aswell. The dutch love their plants and almost every window you see here has atleast two plants in there along with whatever else they want to decorate their window with..but no matter what it is, it's always multiple matching items. So there is always two plants that are alike and two vases. If you drove passed my window you would see mismatched items..yeah I'm a rebel like that. I could go on and on how people just love to stare in your window and how almost everyone has their curtains wide open at night,alot of them have lacey curtains so if they are closed you can still see in and curtains are always open in the mornings right away aswell. It goes back to the puritan times I believe..to show others that you aren't doing anything naughty or something..lol So what does all of this have to do with my cinnamon bread? nothing really. I just wanted to post about that!!!

Ok so on to the bread. I love,love,love quick breads. I really want a quick bread cookbook but havent been able to find one yet. Does anyone know of one? This is perfect to serve to someone coming over for a visit. A cup of coffe or tea goes perfectly with this. It's moist,has a wonderful flavor and takes minutes to throw together. I went ahead and used my mini loaf pans since I have yet to find an american sized loaf pan here. I imagine you could easily freeze it and put the glaze on before you served it.
Cinnamon Swirl Quick Bread..1 loaf
2 cups Flour
1-1/2 cups Sugar,Divided
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1/2 tsp. Salt
1 cup Buttermilk
1 Egg
1/4 cup Vegetable Oil
3 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
Glaze:
1/4 cup Powdered Sugar
1-1/2 to 2 tsp. Milk

Pre heat oven to 350 degrees or 180 celcius. Grease the bottom only of a 9x5x3 in. loaf pan. Set aside. In a large bowl, combine the flour,1 cup sugar, baking soda, and salt.

In another bowl combine the buttermilk,egg, and oil. Stir into dry ingredients until just moistened.

In a small bowl combine the 1/2 cup remaining sugar and cinnamon. Pour half of the batter into the pan and sprinkle with half of the cinnamon/sugar mixture. Carefully spread remaining batter on top; sprinkle with remaing cinnamon/sugar mixture. Cut through batter with a knife to swirl.

Bake 45-50mins or until tooth pick inserted comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over loaf.

** Because I used smaller loaf pans I didnt use half of the cinnamon/sugar mixture. Keep that in mind incase you do the same thing**