Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Homemade Devils Food Cake


Yesterday marked the first day back to school. Here in NL there is only 6 weeks of summer vacation; I'm liking that. So to mark the special day I decided to make a Devils food cake from scratch aswell as make homemade ice cream!
The first thing I noticed when I moved here and tasted the ice cream was that I was in for a serious heartbreak. The ice cream here tastes like frozen Cool Whip. It doesnt taste milk based and I was really sad. Also you can choose from 4 or 5 boring flavors and thats about it. There is no mint chocolate chip,cookie dough,peanubutter anything,no peppermint during christmas time,no chunks of anything. I don't buy ice cream anymore and when mother's day rolled around I asked for nothing else but an ice cream maker. I got one:) It's a small one but thats ok. I couldn't use a larger one due to the fact that freezer space in fridges is obsurd. This post isnt about the ice cream only because I didn't like what I made. I didn't have a candy thermometer so I used a no cook recipe..and well,it was so sickingly sweet. I have searched high and low and even went into Germany to find a thermometer and have come up empty handed every single frustrating time. I found one online and ordered it. Hopefully it will be here soon and I will be posting recipes for my upcoming ice cream adventures.

The cake however turned out great! It was really moist and I didn't bother to top it with frosting, although you certainly could. We all ate the cake and ice cream with big smiles.

Devils Food Cake
2 1/4 cups Flour
1/2 cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
1 1/2 tsps. Baking Soda
1/4 tsp. Salt
1/2 cup Shortening(I used butter)
1 3/4 cups Sugar
1 tsp. Vanilla
3 Eggs
1 1/3 cups Water

Pre heat oven to 350 degrees or 180 Celcius. Grease and lightly flour two 9x1 1/2 inch round cake pans or grease one 13x9 pan and set aside. Stir together flour,cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.

In a large mixing bowl beat shortening with an electric mixer set on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar and vanilla; beat until well combined. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each one. Add dry mixture and water alternately to beaten mixture, beating on low speed after each addition just till combined. Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool on wire rack and frost.