Saturday, August 1, 2009

Cooking with Kids

I wanted to start a weekly cooking with kids post because I think it's important to get them in there and enjoying the process of making different foods. As a mother to two boys I don't want them to be totally helpess when they move out. I don't want them relying on fast food for their meals...although I'm sure for awhile they will do just that! Cooking should be fun and not a stressful activity you do with them. My two sons are 11 and 9 so I will be picking different items based on their age and what I think they can handle helping me with. I noticed however that they are really eager to help me making it but they sure to disappear fast when it comes to cleaning up!

My 9 year old and I made this lastnight. We have wanted to make it since last november when I received my Taste of Home magazine..yep I get them mailed allll the way over here! It calls for frozen strawberries and let me tell you that was difficult to find. I forgot about the recipe until this week when another blogger posted a similar recipe. I got my magazine out,used fresh strawberries instead and voila 8 hours later you can enjoy a strawberry ice cream like dessert.

Frozen Strawberry Dessert..Taste of Home magazine
1 cup Flour
1/4 cup Packed Brown Sugar
1/2 cup Cold Butter;cut into small cubes
1/2 cup Chopped Pecans
2 cups fresh or frozen unsweetened strawberries;thawed
1 cup Sugar
1 tsp. Lemon Juice
1 cup Heavy Whipping Cream; Whipped

Preheat oven to 350 or 180 celcius. In a small bowl,combine flour,brown sugar; cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in pecans. Press into an ungreased 9 inch square baking pan. Bake for 14-16 mins or until lightly browned. Cool on wire rack. Crumble the baked pecan mixture;set aside 1/2 cup for topping. Sprinle remaining mixture into an 8 inch square dish.
In a large mixing bowl,beat the strawberries,sugar,and lemon juice until blended. Fold in whipping cream. Spread evenly into dish. Sprinkle with reserved topping. Cover and freeze for 8 hours or overnight.

** On a side note, we aren't big fans of big pieces of frozen strawberries so I went ahead and chopped the strawberries up**

** My son helped with all the measuring, mixing the strawberry mixture aswell as helping with the whipping cream. He helped scoop the mixture into the pan and helped with licking the bowl clean:)**