Sunday, August 23, 2009

Chocolate Ice Cream


Hi Everyone! It's been a busy week. My husband took a 3 week vacation and is going back tomorrow. We spent the 3 weeks going places,working on our townhouse and scouting out a new place to live in Germany. We can't buy for another 3 years but it's so much fun to look. Today I found the american dream in a small german town..lol It's out in the country but close to town. I can only hope that it doesn't sell for 3 more years. There's room for me to have my own chickens,large garden and space to build on aswell. One of the finer points of living here besides universal health coverage for all is that you get paid vacations. My husband gets something like 5 weeks off every year and it only goes up. It's paid aswell plus everyone gets vacation money here every summer aswell. I love having him home!

On to the ice cream! I finally found out why I couldn't find a thermometer like I wanted for ice cream making. I guess they no longer sell them because of the mercury in them. I did find some online here so Im not sure what makes those any different. I was lucky enough to get on for free from another american living here in the netherlands. Now I can make the ice cream recipes that require you to heat it to a certain temp. This recipe however doesn't require you to use one. I'm not going to lie and tell you this is the best ice cream ever...because that would be a lie. However this is a darn good chocolately ice cream that with a few tweaks could be that much better. It tasted alot of the cocoa and it almost wants to be a milkshake in a way. I don't know,something was missing and Im not sure what yet. It was great to have a cream based ice cream and Im hooked on making it now. I wont ever buy from the store again. I'm going to keep hunting for the perfect chocolate ice cream and if anyone has any recipes for one please let me know!!

Chocolate Ice Cream..6-8 servings
3/4 cup Sugar
1 cup Milk
1/4 tsp. Salt
2 TBL. Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
3 Egg Yolks; Lightly Beaten
2 ounces Semisweet or your preference Chocolate;Chopped
2 cups Heavy Cream
1 tsp. Vanilla

Combine sugar, milk, salt, and cocoa powder in a saucepan over mdium heat, stirring constantly. Bring to a simmer. Place egg yolks in small bowl. Slowly stir in 1/2 cup of the hot liquid into the yolks and beat to combine;pour back into saucepan. Heat until thickened, but DO NOT BOIL! Remove from heat, stir in chopped chocolate until melted. Pour into bowl and refrigerate for 2 hours or until cold stirring occasionally.

When cool, stir in cream and vanilla. Pour into ice cream making, freeze according to manufacturer's instructions. When done place in freezer safe container and freeze for another few hours. I have a small ice cream maker..about 1 liter and this was to much for it almost. So I would suggest you use a larger maker for this recipe.