Saturday, July 4, 2009

Patriotic Cupcakes


Happy 4th of July!!! I can't tell you how odd it is living in another country and not being able to fully celebrate a holiday. I fully understand now why people who move to another country bring along with them their love for their food. Sometimes thats all you have to remember where you came from. I wanted to wish all my family and friends back home a safe and Happy 4th of July:)

I jumped on the bandwagon and made these patriotic cupcakes. My layers slightly ran wich was a bummer but you get the idea. Although we have had a break in the high temps we are still dealing with the humidity. My batter was super runny and so was the frosting. They taste great though and thats all that matters. You can save yourself some time by using a regular boxed white cake mix and a tub of frosting. However for those like myself who have no access to those things I will include a vanilla cupcake recipe for you. They are sweet and simple.

Vanilla Patriotic Cupcakes..14-16 cupcakes
1 1/2 cups Flour
1 1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/2 cup Unsalted Butter;Softened
1 cup Sugar
1 Large Eggs
1/2 cup Milk
1 tsp. Vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 or 180 celcius. Line cupcake pan with liners and set aside. In a bowl combine the flour,baking powder,and salt;whisk together and set aside. In a large bowl combine the butter and sugar; cream until light and fluffy. Add in eggs and mix until combined. In a drinking glass combine the milk and vanilla. Alternately add flour and milk mixture into batter,beginning and ending with the flour. To make the patriotic cupcakes I took out two bowls and divided the batter into them,leaving in the white batter in the original mixing bowl. Dye one blue and red. Layer batter into cupcakes making sure to cover the entire top with color. Bake for 17-20 mins or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Frost with favorite icing!