Monday, July 6, 2009

Cornmeal Pancakes


When I first served my husband a plate of pancakes he was a bit taken back..and then he made a face when he tried the maple syrup. He told me these weren't pancakes. I said yes they were. He said no way and I was like well if they aren't pancakes then what are they? I can't tell you how many times we have laughed over the differences in our foods. I am used to the fluffy thick pancakes with butter and maple syrup..thats eaten during breakfast time. In the netherlands pancakes are a dinner meal. They are flat, with melted slices of cheese,bits of apple or a combo of things thats inside the pancake and served with a sugar syrup. I can't tell you how taken back I was when he made me some when we moved here. They are so flat you can roll them up like a tortilla,yet they have a rubbery type texture to them. I will always prefer my version of pancakes..and the maple syrup. I just can't wrap my mind around non tasteing sugar syrup.

These cornmeal pancakes are a great alternative to the traditional type. They have nice crisp edges and a great cruncky aspect to them. I really really liked this. However with that being said, these were also the fussiest pancakes I have ever made. They didn't want to flip very well and that was after waiting for the edges to bubble. The middle doesnt set up like the others so be careful of that. You can't wait for that to happen or you will burn the bottom. Give yourself planty of time to make these because they take a bit longer than the originial kind.Thanks to eating out loud for a great recipe.

Cornmeal Pancakes..I was able to make 14 pancakes
1 cup Flour
1/2 cup Cornmeal
1 tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
1 tsp. Salt
1/4 cup Sugar
2 TBL Oil
1 Egg
1 1/2 cups Buttermilk
Butter
Oil

Combine all ingredients just until blended. Melt equal parts butter and oil in pan and cook until done. I tried these with a nonstick spray and it just didn't work. The oil and butter works much better.