Sunday, July 19, 2009

Chocolate Chip Meringues


Well today was supposed to be my day to make homemade bagels. However while watching a re-run of America's Funniest Home videos lastnight,I managed to walk around the corner while still watching the tv and smack my pinky toe against the bottom of the stairs. I yelped and knew instantly I had broken it. I have broken that toe about 15 times during my life. I am used to it now and can tape it to the next one and go about my day. However making bagels requires some standing and my toe just wasn't having it. My oldest son was stuck at home today aswell and was begging to help me with something. So in came meringues to save the day!

I am the first one to admit that I am not a fan of meringues..but thats because I buy them in the store. This was my first time making these and I can assure you it will not be the lasttime! Wow these are just so so good. They are crispy on the outside with the element of dissolving right into your mouth. Then you are hit with a soft chewy inside that makes you smile and grab another. The chocolate chips dont fully melt but they are really soft when you bite into them. These are super easy to make and perfect for a bored kid who decides that after he's done helping me that I'm pretty funny for a mom and a great baker:) Life is good.

Chocolate Chip Meringues..about 30
2 Egg Whites
1/2 tsp. Vanilla
1/8 tsp. Cream of Tartar
2/3 cup Sugar
2/3 cup Miniature semisweet Chocolate Chips
2 ounces semisweet chocolate,melted(optional)

Preheat oven to 300 degrees or 150 celcius. Lightly grease a cookie sheet and set aside. In a medium bowl beat egg whites,vanilla,and cream of tartar with electric mixer on high speed till soft peaks form. Add sugar,1 tablespoon at a time,beating till stiff peaks form(tips of the meringues should stand straight up when pulling the beaters up). Fold in chocolate chips. Drop by rounded teaspoons 2 inches apart. Bake for about 20mins or until firm and bottoms are very lightly browned..mine took a full 20mins. Transfer to wire rack and allow to cool. If you want drizzle the cookies with the melted chocolate.

Variations:
Cocoa Meringues: prepare as above,excpet stir 2 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder into the sugar;add to egg whites as directed.

Peppermint Meringues: Prepare as above, except use 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract instead of vanilla. You could also sprinle in crushed peppermint candies on top before baking.