Thursday, June 4, 2009

Spoonbread


Spoonbread is something that is eaten in the south. I had never heard of it until I bought a cookbook from Gooseberry Patch and one of the recipes in there was spoonbread. If you google it it's defined as something thats eaten in the south and it's a sweet cornmeal based dish and although it has the word "bread" in there it has more of a consistency and flavor of savory puddings such as yorkshire. I made it tonight and the verdict is still out on if we like it or not. It got some really mixed reviews. I looked up all kinds of recipes and the were pretty much the same. There were some that added in cheese and ham and some suggested pouring a small amount of maple syrup on top(wich I ended up doing) or sugar and cinnamon. I'm not sure if it's ment as a side dish,brunch dish or breakfast dish. I'm guessing it could be for all 3. I wanted to like it and a part of me does but it still has a different taste that has to be worked around. I guess Im not a fan of the cornmeal taste when it's used as a cream base..it reminds of malt o meal. When I added in the maple syrup I liked it alot more and understood the attraction to it after that. I'm not saying this is a bad tasteing dish by any means. My husband really liked it but Im not sure if it's worth all the effort into making it. I'm open to suggestions with other recipes if anyone has them. I guess next time I could try cheese and ham and see how that goes. Over all we ate it but I threw half of it away and saved one portion to try again at breakfast. I don't consider this an over all success.

Spoonbread
4 cups Milk
1 cup Cornmeal
3 tsp. Sugar
1 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
2 TBLSPN. Butter
3 Eggs;Seperated
Pre heat oven to 350 or 180 celcius. Grease a 2 1/2 Qt dish lightly and set aside.In a large saucepan, heat 3 cups of milk over medium heat until bubbles form around sides of the pan. In another bowl combine the cornmeal,sugar,salt and remaining milk and stir until smooth. Slowly whisk cornmeal mixture into hot milk. Cook and stir until mixture comes to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 5 mins, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Sprinkle baking powder over mixture,add the butter and mix until blended.
In a small bowl, beat egg yolks and add in a small amount of cornmeal. Mix together and then add into cornmeal mixture;mix well. Combine egg whites in a bowl and beat with mixer until stiff peaks form. Fold a 4th of egg whites into the cornmeal mixture. Fold in remaining egg whites until blended. Bake for 40-45 mins or until golden brown. Serve immediately.