Friday, June 26, 2009

Nigella's Walnut Brownies


We're having a streak of what we consider hot weather. It's only in the upper 70's but when you add in the humidity factor it can become down right unbearable very quickly. When I woke the boys up for school this morning I fed them breakfast and started in on these brownies right away. The house was already warm so I threw open all the windows and got busy. In previous posts I have mentioned my dislike for Nigella's How to be a domestic goddess cookbook. I just wasn't that impressed with the recipes. However I spotted her brownie recipe and finally managed to get everything I needed to make them. I was very impressed with this recipe for sure. They were thick,dense and the addition of walnuts were perfect. I can't eat brownies alot becuase of how rich they are but from now on when I need a fix, Im going for this recipe.
Nigella's Walnut Brownies
1 2/3 cup unsalted ButterLsoftened
13 ounces Bittersweet Chocolate
1 TBLSPN. Vanilla
6 large Eggs
1 2/3 cup Sugar
1 1/2 cups Flour
1 tsp. Salt
1 1/3 cup Walnuts; chopped
Preheat oven to 350 or 180 celcius. Line a 13x9 both on bottom and sides with parchment paper or foil...I did it with the parchment paper and it was a pain in the butt. I will grease and flour next time. Mix the flour in one bowl with the salt. In another bowl combine the eggs,vanilla and sugar;beating until combined. In a large saucepan melt the butter and the chocolate. When it has melted,let it cool a bit before pouring into the egg and sugar mixture;beating until combined. Add in walnuts and flour,beating until smooth. Pour into pan and bake for 25mins. When ready the top should be dried to a paler brown speckle,but the middle still dark,dense and gooey. I needed longer than 25mins because it was to raw for my liking and even after cooking it for another 15mins I discovered after cutting into it that the middle was way way way to gooey.