Saturday, June 6, 2009

Lemon Cream Cupcakes


When I'm stressed or just have something I need to "work through" I head for the kitchen. It's theraputic for me to go in there and concentrate on something else that requires my attention. Today was one of those days. I needed an escape and these moist and delicious cupcakes gave it to me. The "cream" part of this recipe comes from sour cream but I used creme fraiche instead. The sour cream here is really grainy tasting with a weird tartness to it. I have never been able to get used to it and once I was introduced to the wonders of creme fraiche, I never looked back! wow is it good and super cheap here. This recipe makes alot of cupcakes..I got 36 out of it. I left 12 out and froze the rest and will use them at a later time in triffles or just as a quick snack. They have a nice lemon flavor and although the recipe called for 2 tsp of grated lemon peel I was only able to use 1 since I didn't have enough lemons. They still tasted great.
Lemon Cream Cupcakes..36
1 cup Butter; Softened
2 cups Sugar
3 Eggs
2 tsp. Grated Lemon Peel
1 tsp. Vanilla
3 1/2 cups Flour
2 tsp. Baking Powder
1 tsp. Baking Soda
2 cups Sour Cream or Creme Fraiche
Preheat oven to 350 or 180 celcius. In a bowl combine dry ingredients and set aside. In a mixing bowl cream butter and sugar. Add in eggs one at a time and mix well after each one. Add lemon peel and vanilla; mix well. Take your dry ingredients and add them to cream mixture alternately with sour cream(the batter will be thick). Fill greased or paper lined cups 3/4 and bake for 25-30 mins or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool and frost with desired frosting.