Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Homemade Iced Coffee


I had every intention of photographing this glass filled with iced coffee. However things took a turn when I sampled it and then sampled again and again. I sat down,kicked my feet up,closed my eyes, and smiled. This is exactely what I needed on this super humid day. Up until 2 years ago I never ever drank coffee. I hated the smell of it and the only way I could stomach a sip was if it was made into iced coffee with add ins..like chocolate or vanilla. When I moved the to the netherlands I discovered what a serious pass time coffee drinking was here. My husband drank it by the bucket loads and whenever we went to someone's house the first thing they asked is if we wanted coffee. I always said no and their eyebrows would shoot up like they couldnt believe I didn't want any. I don't know if it was due to just wanting to fit in with the cool kids or what but I poured myself a cup and added in 3 fake sugars and some milk and I never looked back. I'm totally hooked.

However in the summer I stop drinking coffee because of the warmth. There is nothing worse for me then having to consume a warm beverage on an already warm day. I looked around for iced coffee or cappuccino but don't really see it that often. When I stumbled upon One Particular Kitchen and saw the super simple recipe on there, I knew I had to give it a shot. I did and I am so so sooo happy. This seriously couldn't be easier. If you like iced coffee then you really need to give this a try. Since I take my coffee with sugar I followed her instructions on making a simple syrup to go along with it since sugar was not going to dissolve in the glass. I will also include the easy recipe for that aswell.

Iced Coffee
2/3 cup Coarlsy Ground Coffee
1 quart mason jar
Add Ins: Vanilla,Caramel,Chocolate Syrup,Simple Syrup

Fill jar with coffee and then fill with water. Let it set for 12 hours at room temperature. Strain coffee using either a paper filter,sieve, or cheese cloth into another jar. When you want to make a glass mix half concentrate with half milk or water depending on how you like your iced coffe and enjoy(for my glass I added in 1/2 cup of concentrate with 1/2 cup of milk) Store the concentrate in the fridge. She mentioned that hers was still strong after 3 weeks in the fridge. She also mentioned you could make some coffee ice cubes and pour the mixture over that. Your drink will never taste watered down after that.

Simple Syrup
1 cup Sugar
1 cup Water
Pour ingredients into a pan on medium heat and continue to stir until sugar has dissolved. It basically looks like water when it's done. Cool and pour into a jar and store in the fridge. I believe this is also the base for homemade lemonade so you could make some of that aswell!