Saturday, June 20, 2009

Baked Rigatoni

Have you ever experienced so much stress that you can't imagine dealing with anymore and yet thats exactly what you do..deal with more? Thats been my life for the last few months. My husband and I are prepairing ourselves for what will be a very tragic loss to our family. I've learned that being an adult comes along with so many heartbreaking moments that at times I just want to close the curtains,turn off the phone and stop living. However there are also those breath taking moments that you want to live over and over again. I guess thats how you balance yourself out. My posting will be here and there for awhile. I notice my ability to get in the kitchen and bake something comes and goes along with the stress level. On to more happy things!

I found this awesome recipe over at Recipes of a Cheapskate. I was drawn to it right away because it used a homemade white sauce,much like the ones you use to make macaroni and cheese and not the traditional red sauce. I had everything in my kitchen and made it tonight for dinner. It was a huge winner. My youngest son for whatever reason doesn't like home made or boxed macaroni but yet ate all of this without complaint. He's goofy like that. This will go into my rotation of recipes. It's pretty cost efective aswell and that's a huge plus these days!

Baked Rigatoni..serves 4 with leftovers
1pkg (16oz) Rigatoni pasta
1/2 cup Butter
1/2 cup Flour
4 cups Milk
2 cups Mozarella Cheese;Shredded
1/2lb Ham;thinkly sliced. I used deli ham for sandwiches
Seasonings of choice;pepper,onion powder,etc.

Preheat oven to 425 or 220celcius. Grease a 13x9 pan and set aside. Get water boiling for pasta and add in pasta;cooking until the al-dente stage(just starting to get soft). In a seperate saucepan melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour and blend until smooth. Add milk and continue to stir until sauce has thickened and can coat the back of a spoon. Add in seasonings,ham,and cheese. Stir until cheese has melted. Drain pasta,add to sauce and pour into pan. At this point you can leave it alone like I did or do as she suggested and smooth the top,sprinkle with additional cheese and place pats of butter on top. Bake for 25 mins or until bubbly and brown.