Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Moist Chocolate Cake


Yesterday my oldest son turned 11 and it also marked our 2 year anniversary of moving to the Netherlands. Since my son is a fishing fanatic a fish shaped cake was in order. Although I doubt very much I will win any awards for presentation he loved it none the less. The cake and frosting was a huge hit with us and I liked it more than my buttermilk chocolate cake recipe. The frosting is very subtle and it reminded my husband and I of homemade whipping cream. When my husband moved to the U.S. one of his big complaints was how sweet everything tasted and how awful the frosting was. I have to agree with him on that. I can't stand the frosting on the cakes that you order. He also doesn't like cream cheese frosting and since moving here I no longer do either. However when I moved here I was shocked at how tasteless their frosting was and how boring the cakes were. They don't do custome cakes here wich is a shame.

On to this cake! I wanted a moist chocolate cake and turned to my Taste of Home magazines for the answer. I wasn't sure about the frosting but wow it really complimented the cake very well. The batter is very thin..thin to the point where you think you don't need to worry about it..but you do. I put it in a 13x9 and it grew and grew and grew. It was supposed to only take 35 mins but ended up taking 1 hour because of how big it had gotten..lol It never spilled over and when I took it out it sunk down but this is the tallest cake I have ever made. The original directions don't even call for a 13x9 but they don't sell round 9 inch cake pans here..not that I have found anyway so I bought a glass pan that was about 13x9. It was so moist,had a wonderful flavor to it and was just as good the next day.
Moist Chocolate Cake
2 cups Flour
1 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Baking Powder
2 tsp. Baking Soda
3/4 cup Cocoa
2 cups Sugar
1 cup Vegetable Oil
1 cup Brewed Coffee
1 cup Milk
2 Eggs
1 tsp. Vanilla
Pre heat oven to 325 or 160-170 celcius. Add dry ingredients into large bowl. Add oil and milk; mix at medium speed for one minute. Add eggs and vanilla; beat for 2 more minutes..Batter will be thin. Grease and flour 2- 9 inch round cake pans (or 2- 8 inch round cake pans plus 6 muffin cups) OR you can be brave and use a 13x9 pan. Bake for 25-35 mins or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 mins and then take out and transfer to wire rack.

Frosting
1 cup Milk
5 TBLSPNS Flour
1/2 cup Butter;softened
1/2 cup Shortening
1 cup Sugar
1 tsp. Vanilla
Combine millk and flour in saucepan. Over medium heat cook until thick;stirring constantly. Cover and refridgerate. In a bowl beat butter,shortening,sugar and vanilla until creamy. Add chilled milk/flour mixture and beat for 12 mins. ** I am not to sure why you need to beat for 12 mins. I only used butter since I cant get shortening very easy so maybe the more you beat the shortening the fluffier it gets? I used all butter and it came out great**