Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Homemade Tortillas


I made homemade tortillas last night using a recipe from The Happy Housewife. I can not tell you how wonderful these were and how easy they were to whip up. Well..easy as in it was easy once my husband took over:) I failed miserably at rolling them out. I made the first one and it came out palm sized and reminded me of a gordita. The trick is to seriously roll the poo out of it until you get your desired size. We didnt do the 6 inch circle like she did. We are more of a burrito family so we stretched the dough out into an 8 inch circle. When you do that you don't come away with as many as she did. I made 8 wich is basically what we have normally..2 a piece.

I have to admit that I was rather skeptical about how they would turn out. I was worried that they were going to be really hard and not hold up once we tried to roll them. How wrong I was. These kept a super soft form and rolled up perfectly. Because they were a bit smaller we couldnt do the traditional burrito wrap..instead we put the fixings a bit close to the edge and then pulled the dough over,tucked it in and rolled it up like a cinnamon roll. It held perfectly that way. My husband commented right away that he couldnt believe how soft and light they were. Our biggest complaint has always been that the store bought tortillas are gummy and dont always have a ncie taste to them. These were soft,light and just perfect. We will no longer buy from the store. I'm actually glad about that because buying tortillas over here is super expensive. We only get them in packages of 4-8 and I always have difficulties validating the purchase. Now I can go into my kitchen and use 5 simple ingredients at any time we have a craving for mexican food.

My only other advice is to not give up..even if the first time you make them they don't totally come out. Ours was a bit fugly looking but once we saw what I did wrong we were able to adjust accordingly. Im going to double the recipe next time and see if they can be rolled out slightly bigger.
Homemade Tortillas..we made 8 burrito sized.
2 cups Flour
1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. Salt
2 TBLSPNS. Butter;Softened
1/2 cup Warm Water
Combine flour,baking powder,salt and butter in a medium bowl. Gradually add the warm water until a smooth dough forms. If the dough is to sticky add a little more flour(I actually thought mine was a little on the dry side and ended up adding more water to mine. I never got the smooth dough but that could be because I did it by using a spoon and not a mixer). Roll dough into 1 and 1/2inch balls(I made 8 instead). Set on plate,cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Flatten balls one at a time between 2 small plates and then roll into 6 inch circle(again we went larger) The flatter they are the more soft taco they are . Cook on medium heat in a pan or griddle and cook them until tortillas turn white. When you put them on the pan you can see the color turn fairly quickly and then you flip them over after that. Serve warm.