Thursday, May 7, 2009

Easy Tuna Fish Cakes


Although the economy is no where near as bad as back home, we still feel a pinch here. Food has gone up some and since we are a one income family it's my job to save and stretch where is needed. Since moving here I have had to learn how to scratch cook alot. The food items I am used to back home are either very hard to find,expensive or non exsistent. So I have learned to make homemade versions of things. However finding those items to actually make it homemade can be expensive here aswell. It's been a real learning process for me when it comes to cooking,buying and making the same things that we loved back home. One of those things are fish cakes and I'm happy to say they are cheap to make,taste great and it doesn't feel like you had to skimp on anything to make a meal. There is a wide variety of ways to make these so I"m not going to give alot of directions for this. I used what I had around the house. I noticed that most of the recipes call for you to boil and mash some potatoes but I used instant instead. I don't use instant as a rule in my house but it was a beautiful day outside, I was on my way out for a beautiful country drive so I needed to whip these up fast. I'm happy to say that in a pinch instant potatoes work just fine. You can also use one can or two of the tuna depending on your family size. I have 1 adult male and 2 growing always hungry boys so I used 2 cans. This recipe leaves alot of room for improvement. You could add onions,grated carrot,mashed peas,the possibilities are endless.
Tuna Fish Cakes..13 Cakes
2 cans of tuna;drained
1-2 packets of instant mashed potatoes(I made 2 packets but only used 1 1/2)
Seasonings to taste
Flour
Bread Crumbs
2 Eggs,Beaten
Heat a pan full of water and cook your instant potatoes using the box directions. I didn't add any butter to mine and left some of the milk out. You don't want creamy potatoes because it will make it hard to form the cakes. While the water is heating up take your tuna and add it to a large bowl. Flake it and add your seasonings. Once you have made the potatoes add them to your tuna mixture. I added enough to mix in with the tuna and when I felt like it was enough to form decent sized cakes. Cover and put in fridge until slightly cooled and easier to handle. Place parchment paper on cookie sheet,form mixture into cakes and place back into the fridge until ready to use..atleast 30mins to an hour before dinner. Put flour in one bowl,bread crumbs in another and beaten eggs in one aswell. Dip the cakes into the flour,brush off access,dip into egg and then into bread crumbs. Place in heated pan with some oil. At this point you can do it two ways. Either continue cooking in a pan until heated threw or if you are like me you don't have a big enough pan. Instead I browned on both sides,put them back onto the parchment cookie sheet and baked in the oven at 350 or 180 celcius for 20 minutes. Serve with tartar sauce..well we did anyway :)