Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Homemade Ranch Dressing


Can you believe there is no ranch dressing in the netherlands?? there are plenty of horrible what were they thinking versions of the stuff..but not the real deal. I'm not sure why they don't have it either. We have a Subway here and they have sandwiches with ranch on it. While I was grocery shopping one time I came across a bottle of ranch. It wasnt what I am used to and it said it was from Italy..that should of been a red flag right there. I bought it,spent way way way to much money and when I came home I opened it up right away and gasped. The scent was vinegar and hard boiled eggs. I actually tasted it after that and it was worse than the smell.
I have family that sends me the dry ranch packets and I am beyond grateful for it. However we go threw it way to fast so it was time to make something homemade. I have tried several recipes only to end up with fire breathing heartburn.

Well I stumbled upon Coleen's Recipes website and when I spotted her version I decided to give it a go. I'm sooo glad I did because this was a real winner. It came out thick and creamy and had just the right amount of seasonings to it. The only change I made was I used Creme Fraiche because the sour cream here is just horrible. I also only added in 1/2 tsp of pepper only because thats what I had and it still came out great. I suggest like she did that you let this sit in the fridge for a few hours. When I tasted it after making it I thought I did something wrong because it had a really mild taste. I came back two hours later and it was perfect. It was thick and creamy and oh so ranchy. This will be my ranch dressing from now on when I run out of the packets.
Coleen's Ranch Dressing
1 cup Mayo
1/2 cup Sour Cream
1/2 cup Milk
2 tsp. Dried Parsley Flakes
3/4 tsp. Pepper
3/4 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. Garlic Powder
1/2 tsp. Onion Powder
2 Small pinches of Dried Thyme
Combine all ingredients,whisk until blended and palce in fridge covered for atleast 2 hours.