Friday, April 10, 2009

Buttermilk Biscuit Bread


I always seem to have left over buttermilk. I usually buy it for a specific recipe and then I never use whats left over. I know you can make your own but I prefer buying mine for some reason. Anyway I stumbled upon this recipe from Two Peas and Their Pod and it used 2 cups of buttermilk wich was what I had left over. This isnt a regular quick bread. It's a biscuit only in bread form...wich is soooo cool! She made hers in a 9X5 loaf pan but since I can't get those here I used my mini loaf pan instead. Mine has 6 of them wich was just enough for the batter. These turned out great and she mentioned spreading strawberry jam on hers wich we did aswell and it was really good.
Buttermilk Biscuit Bread
3 cups Flour
1 TBLSPN Baking Powder
1/3 cup Sugar
1 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1 Egg;lightly beaten
2 cups Buttermilk
1/4 cup Butter; melted
Heat oven to 325 or 165 clecius. Grease a 9X5 inch loaf pan. Combine flour, baking powders, sugar and salt. Blend egg and buttermilk together and then add all at once to flower mixture. Mix just until moistened and add butter. Pur into pan and bake for 65-70 mins or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool on wire rack and cover with foil for several hours or overnight for best flavor. I skipped this part only because the boys were looking at me with hungry eyes.