Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Lemon-Syrup Loaf Cake


I decided to channel my inner domestic goddess self by baking with Nigella today. I have talked about the cookbook I bought from her called How To Be A Domestic Goddess before and how I find it difficult to like alot of what I have made. I wanted to give it a try again and Im glad I did because this time around,the outcome was alot better. Again I think she is great to watch on tv but my overall taste in baked goods are alot different than hers. I decided to try out my mini loaf pans when I baked the cake. This was my first time using grated lemon zest and real lemon juice and WOW does it add a serious citrus boost. These little loaves arent for the faint of heart. Im a huge lemon fan and although I thought this was good, it isnt something I would make all the time. Infact when I do make it again I will cut the lemon juice down by half and see how that works. It has a nice slightly harden crust on the oustide and a moist inside.You can bake this in a 9X5 loaf pan or use mini ones if you have them.
Lemon-Syrup Loaf Cake
1/2 cup Butter;softened
1/2 cup plus 1 tblspoon Sugar
2 large Eggs
zest of 1 Lemon
1 cup plus 1 tblspoon Self-rising Cake Flour
pinch of salt
4 TBLSPNS Milk

SYRUP:
4 TBLSPNS Fresh squeezed lemon juice( 1 1/2 lemons)
1/2 cup Powdered Sugar

Preheat Oven to 350 degrees or 180 celcius. If using a 9x5 loaf pan she says to butter it and then line it with parchment or wax paper,making sure the lining comes an inch or so up the sides of the pan for easier unmolding later. If using mini loaf pans use nonstick cooking spray. Cream together the butter and sugar, and add the eggs and lemon zest, beating them in well. Add the flour and salt,folding in gently but thoroughly, and then the milk. Spoon into prepared loaf pans and place in oven. Bake for 45min if using the 9X5 or 25mins for the mini ones. As always check for doneness by the toothpick in middle test.
While it's cooking place the syrup ingredients in saucepan and heating gently so that the sugar dissolves. When the cake is done,take it out of the oven and prick several holes all over and spoon the syrup over the top evenly. Try to let the middle abosrb the syrup aswell as the sides and leave it alone to absorb the rest. She suggests leaving in the cake pan/s to cool completely but not letting it stay in there to long or it will be hard to get out. I honestly only left my mini ones in there maybe 15mins but she said it could take up to an hour for the larger loaf to cool down.