Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Homemade Rice A Roni


I can't find flavored rice here..not unless I want a certain kind called nasi and once and awhile thats ok but not everyday. So whats a girl to do? look online of course and find something that works. I did and found it. I was pretty happy with how easy it was to make and how versatile it can be. I was able to find a packet of vermicelli at the store so I didn't need to break up spaghetti noodles but if you can't find a vermicelli mix then by all means use something else.
Homemade Rice A Roni
1 cup Spaghetti,broken into very small pieces
2 cups Rice,uncooked
1/4 cup Dried Parsley Flakes
6 TBLSPNS Chicken Bouillon Powder(can use beef in place of chicken)
2 tspns. Onion Powder
1/2 tspns. Garlic Powder
1/4 tspn. Tyme (leave out if using beef powder)
Mix all ingredients together and store in airtight container. To use place 1 cup of mix in saucepan with 2 tablespoons butter. Sautee rice mixture quickly and pour in 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil,reduce heat,cover and simmer until rice is tender. The timing will be different for everyone I think. The original recipe said 15-20mins but mine only took 8 minutes. I noticed recipe on my box of rice said it cooked in 8minutes so timing will vary.