Saturday, March 14, 2009

Homemade Pita Pockets


I made homemade pita pockets! I still can't believe I did it. I am the worst person when it comes to making anything with yeast. Im so scared of it..lol I decided to give it another go when I read this post about it. The recipe looked pretty straight forward and didn't require alot of steps. I didn't have a breadmachine so I worked the dough myself,wich I must say it didn't need a whole lot. I did notice though that my dough was super sticky and I kept needing to add flour to it so Im not sure if I did somethng wrong or not. It took me awhile to get them just right but I was so happy about the taste and how wonderfully soft they are. Now my pitas are funny shaped but that doesnt matter. I could still cut them open and make sandwiches with them. The only thing I changed about the recipe was the oil. I made these again today and switched it with regular oil and Im happier about that. My olive oil is not a good quality and I could taste that so until I find a better quality olive oil Im going to stick with regular. I also notice that I should not roll these out thin. I only mildly rolled them and those came out better. I made one the size of a personal pan pizza..lol I still need alot of practice with these but Im sticking with this great recipe and will make them often.
Pita Pockets..makes between 8-10
3 cups Flour
1 1/2 tsp. Salt
1 TBLSPN Honey
2 tspns. Yeast
1 1/4 - 1 1/2 cups warm water..I used 1 1/2
2 TBLSPNS Olive Oil
Add yeast to water and dissolve. Add salt,honey,olive oil and flour;mix until combined. I needed to add more flour to get rid of the horrible sticky dough. Divide the dough up into 8 balls,cover with damp towel and let rise for 20mins. Pre heat oven to 400 degrees or 200 celcius and put your cookie sheet inside the oven while it warms up. You want the sheet hot when you put the pitas on there. Roll them out slightly and put on cookie sheet. Bake for 5 mins. The pitas will puff up during baking. I had to cook mine longer wich probably means my oven is off..I had to add another 5 mins to mine.