Friday, March 13, 2009

Hearty Ham and Potato Soup


I love thick soups. There are a few thinner soups I like but given a choice Im always going to go for the more substantial kind. I have been reviewing mulitple potato soup recipes and took my favorites from each one when creating this recipe. It's nothing fancy,a very basic soup that won huge reviews from the guys and asking if I will make it again soon. I did not add any seasonings to my soup but feel free to do so. My chicken broth is way better than I stuff I got back home. I buy it in a glass jar and it looks so homemade. The broth looks like it was directly poured into this jar along with huge chunks of chicken after cooking it. The flavor is better than anything I had before so it added the only flavor we really needed. You can add more or less potatoes and just decress the amount of milk.I used 3 cups but could have easily gotten away with using only 2. So all these measurments are just basic and you can add or take away from it. You can't go wrong with this recipe. You can also add an onion to this recipe and sautee it in a bit of butter and then proceed with the rest of the recipe.
Ham and Potato Soup..8 servings
5 potatos peeled and chopped(I used small ones because thats all I had)
1 small Onion,finely diced;optional
1 cup Ham,diced
Chicken Broth; enough to cover the potatoes to boil in
2-3 cups of Milk
1-2cups Instant Potato Flakes
Shredded Cheese:cheddar or smoked Gouda works great
If using an onion,sautee it in a soup pot with some butter and cook it until it becomes soft. Add in potatoes and chicken broth;cooking until potatoes are tender. Add in Milk,ham and enough potato flakes to reach your desired thickness. I add in the amount of cheese I want and cook until heated threw.