Thursday, February 12, 2009

Frosted Cocoa Cookies


Every year in the netherlands you have a car inspection. We had ours on tuesday and I knew it was going to be painful. Taking your car in is like going to the dentist: It's going to be painful,expensive and will leave a nasty taste in your mouth. So to help with what I knew was ahead for my husband and I, I whipped up some GREAT cookies. These are almost cake like and they go great with a cup of coffee. The subtle hint of almond flavoring in the frosting really sets of the taste of the chocolate. You can either drizzle the frosting over the cookies or like I did and simply dip the tops into the chocolate. The frosting will harden a bit wich makes transporting them easy.
As for the car inspection? yep it was a painful one for sure.
Frosted Cocoa Cookies
1 cup shortening or Butter (I used butter)
2 cups Sugar
4 Eggs
2 tsp. Vanilla
3 1/2 cups Flour
1 cup Baking Cocoa
2 tsp. Baking Soda
1 tsp. Salt
Frosting:
1/3 cup Butter; Softened
3 cups Powdered Sugar
1/3 cup Baking Cocoa
1/4 tsp. Almond Extract
3-4 TBLSPN. Milk..or enough to make desired consistency
Pre heat oven to 350 or 180 celcius. In a large bowl cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time,beating well after each one. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour,cocoa,baking soda and salt;gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Roll into 1 1/2 inch balls. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet and bake for 13-16 mins or until set. Remove and cool on wire racks. 3 1/2 dozen. For frosting,in a bowl combine the butter,powdered sugar,cocoa and extract. Add enough milk to achieve desired consistency. I think I ended up using 6 or 7 tablespoons. Either drizzel chocolate over the cookies or dip the tops into the frosting.