Saturday, February 28, 2009

Chocolate Chai Quick Bread


Many things have kept me from baking or cooking anything new for the past week or so. However I managed to get in the kitchen today and made a wonderful quick bread. A friend sent me a cooking magazine back in October and I wanted to make this right away. Well one thing lead to another and I forgot about it. When I received the new Taste of Home magazine I saw the same recipe and wasted no time in making it. I'm so glad I did because this quick bread is a real winner. It fills your home with the most wonderful scent and the taste is so good. It's not over the top sweet,the texture is light and airy and it won rave reviews from the men in the house. If you don't have Chai instant tea latte mix don't let that stop you. I don't have one either but the recipe came with an alternative spice blend you can make. You can make these loaves in several ways. The original recipe calls for you to put it into 3 mini loaves or you have the option of making it into one 9X5 inch loaf. Living in the netherlands I have yet to find that such size. Instead I used a 10 inch loaf pan and it worked beautifully. If I were going to share this bread with someone else then I would have used my mini loaf pan.
Chocolate Chai Quick Bread
1 1/2 cups Flour
1/2 cup water
2 (1ounce) squares bittersweet or semi sweet baking chocolate
1 cup firmly packed Brown Sugar
1/2 cup Butter;softened
2 Eggs
1 tspn. Vanilla
1/2 cup Sour Cream
3 TBLSPNS instant Chai tea latte mix(spice blend listed below)
1 tspn. Baking Soda
1/2 tspn. Salt

Glaze:
1 cup Powdered Sugar
1 TBLSPN Butter;softened
3 TBLSPN instant Chai tea latte mix
1/2 tsp. Vanilla
4-5 tspn. Milk

** Chai Spice Blend**
2 tspn. Ground Cinnamom
1 tspn. Ground Ginger
1/4 tspn. Ground Cloves.
Mix together and use 2 1/4 tspn. in bread mix and 1 tspn in glaze.

Heat oven to 350 degrees or 180 celcius. Grease bottom only of 3 (5 3/4 X 3 inch) mini loaf pans OR 1 9X5inch loaf pan OR 1 10inch loaf pan. Combine water and baking chocolate in pan and cook over low heat until melted;stirring often. Remove from heat;cool to room temperature. Combine brown sugar,butter,eggs and vanilla in large bowl. Beat on medium speed until creamy.Add chocolate mixture and sour cream. Continue beating until well mixed. Reduce speed to low and add all remaining bread ingredients. Beat until mixture is smooth. Spoon batter into prepared loaf pans. Bake for 30-40mins or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool 10minutes. Remove from pans and cool completely. ** If using glass or dark pans,reduce heat by 25 degrees and check for donesness at minimum bake time. If using a 9X5 loaf pan bake for 45-50 mins. If using 10 inch loaf pan bake for 45 mins.
Combine all glaze ingredients and 2 teaspoons milk. Beat at medium speed and add remaining milk to your desired spreading consistency. Glaze cooled bread.