Friday, January 9, 2009

Meatball Subs


For christmas I was sent a Paula Deen Christmas magazine. I can't tell you how much I miss magazines from back home! The dutch ones just don't cut it for me. Whenever someone sends me a cooking magazine I read it over and over..about 50 times I'd say. I need to at some point pay for subscriptions so that I can get them over here on a regular basis. This meatball sub comes right out of the magazine. This recipe will not disappoint you...(by the way I just now realised after years of being a ding a ling disappoint has 2 P's!). It has a wonderful flavor and I served it with a nice simple salad. The recipe calls for one cup chopped onions and as a general rule I never add them because I hate the taste of it in most recipes. However this time I broke down and bought a super small one and added it in. I'm glad I did but don't expect me to keep adding them in all my recipes:)
Hearty Meatball Subs..makes 5
1 lb Ground Chuck..I used regular beef
1 (6ounce) package Pepperoni,finely chopped
1 cup fresh Mushrooms;minced
1 cup Onion,chopped finely
1 cup Panko or whatever bread crumbs you have
1 tspn. Dried Basil
2 large Eggs,lightly beaten
2 (24 ounce) jars Pasta Sauce
5 unsliced Sub Rolls
2 (8ounce) packages shredded Mozzarella Cheese
Preheat oven to 350 or 180 celcius. Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil. Place a cooling rack over pan;spray with nonstick cooking spray. In a large bowl,combine beef or chuck,pepperoni,onion,mushrooms,breadcrumbs,and basil. Add beaten eggs,stirring to combine. Shape mixture into 2-inch balls(you need to make 15 balls). Place on pre-pared rack and bake for 30mins or until center is no longer pink. In a large pot pour pasta sauce in and start cooking it about 5 mins before the meatballs come out. Place meatballs in pasta sauce and cook until sauce is hot. Preheat Boiler. Hollow out centers of each sub roll. Place rolls on sheet with edges around it. Sprinkle 1/2 cup of cheese into each sub roll. Top each with 3 meatballs and desired amount of sauce. Sprinkle each evenly with remaining cheese and broil 5 inches from heat for 1-2 mins,or until cheese is melted.