Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Cornbread


Shopping in the netherlands can be fun or pull your hair out frustrating,depending on what you are looking for. If you want to try something new,then it's fun to walk threw the aisles and pick something out. If you want something specific then it can be pull your hair out frustrating. Alot of the items are called differently and other times I can never seem to get my point across as to what I want... and then wich seems to be the case most often is that they simply do not have it. I'm having a semi fun/hairing pulling time trying to find the right type of cornmeal to get. They have several kinds here and I never know if all will work or not. So I finally picked up one that looks like it's in spanish. I e-mailed my Dad and he said go for it so I made cornbread using a polenta cornmeal. It worked perfectly. The only thing I can detect is a slight teenie weenie crunch wich I actually like. So problem solved..now where in the heck do I buy wheat germ to make my moms granola???
Cornbread..found at allrecipes.com
1 cup Flour
1 cup Yellow Cornmeal
2/3 cup Sugar
1 tspn. Salt
3 1/2 tspn. Baking Powder
1 Egg
1 cup Milk
1/3 cup Vegetable Oil
Preaheat oven to 400 degrees or 200 celcius. Spray or lightly grease 9 inch cake pan or square is fine too. In a large bowl,combine flour,cornmeal,sugar,salt and baking powder. Stir in egg,milk and oil until well combined. Pour into prepared pan. Bake 20-25 mins or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. A super moist cornbread. We loved it and I will be making it often.