Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Lemon Sugar Cookies


These are my most favorite cookie in the whole wide world. I look forward to baking these at certain times of the year. I don't bake them all the time though because of the preperation and the sweetness of the frosting..Im a very plain cookie person but these I always make an exception for. I have been eating these cookies since I was a kid. My mom made them at christmas time and usually at halloween and she would tint the dough orange. What I like most is that unlike the usual sugar cookie that uses vanilla flavoring,this one uses lemon and it makes all the difference in the world in my opinion. This recipe is easily doubled but do NOT increase the lemon flavoring amount. If you do you come away with a greasy dough thats way to overpowering on the flavor(trust me I know) and it doesnt taste good at all. I hope everyone has a very Merry Christmas. I plan on enjoying the day tomorrow with all the various cookies I froze along the way and will be taking it easy with the family!
Ethel's Sugar Cookies..makes several dozen depending on your cutters
3/4 cup Butter( you can also use part butter flavored shortening)
1 cup Sugar
2 Eggs
1/2 tsp Lemon Flavoring
2 1/2 cups Flour
1 tsp. Baking Powder
1 tsp. Salt
Mix butter,sugar,eggs and flavoring thoroughly. Stir flour,baking powder and salt together and slowly add to wet mixture. Cover and chill for atleast 1 hour.
Heat oven to 400 or 200 celcius. Roll dough to 1/8 of an inch thick on lightly floured surface. Cut with cookies cutters,place on ungreased cookie sheet and bake 6-8 mins or until a light golden color... do NOT over bake these cookies..it takes only a short minute for them to go from golden to dark. This recipe produces a nice soft cookie. Cool and frost.