Saturday, December 27, 2008

Homemade Cool Whip & Graham Cracker Crust


If you were at my house earlier today you would have seen me dancing a jig around the house. I was so extremely happy with the fact that I made homemade Cool Whip!!! I have said it a hundred times and will continue to say it for the rest of my life: I took everything I had back home for granted. They don't sell Cool Whip in the netherlands and although I didn't buy alot back home I still had the knowledge of always knowing it was there when I wanted to make a pudding pie with a graham cracker crust. Thats another thing..they dont have those here either. So like anyone else wanting a taste from back home,I set out to find what I wanted on the internet! I found recipes for both and after my Dad and step mom shipped over some wonderful flavored puddings(I can only find one flavor here) and some unflavored gelatin I was set. I hit a panick spot when I didnt think I would beable to find powdered milk..but I did and was so happy.



I followed the directions to the "T" and seriously it's just like cool whip! Some of the recipes call for 1 tsp of Vanilla extract and others don't. I encourage you to use that or like me since I knew I was making a banana pudding I added in 1/2 tsp of banana flavoring. The reason I encourage it is because the recipe calls for 3 tablespoons of oil and I was a bit weirded out by that. I read some reviews that said it was oily tasteing and I didnt want to go threw all that hard work just to have it taste like that. So get creative with the extracts when making it and keep in mind that bolder flavors may only need 1/2 tsp. You need to really beat the mixture until it forms stiff peaks..I think it took me close to 10mins to get it but I was also using a handmixer. You come away with 2 cups wich is just fine when making a pudding pie. The graham cracker crust comes together with 3 ingredients and couldnt be easier. I'm really happy with the total results of what I made and look forward to making it again soon.
Homemade Cool Whip..2 cups
1 tsp. Unflavored Gelatin
2 tsp. Cold Water
3 TBLSPN. Boiling Water
1 tsp. Vanilla extract or other flavoring of your choice
1/2 cup Ice Water
1/2 cup Nonfat Dry Milk
3 TBLSPN. Sugar
3 TBLSPN. Vegetable Oil
Chill a small bowl. Soften gelatin with 2 teaspoons cold water,then add boiling water,stirring until gelatin is completely dissolved; Cool to room temperature. Place 1/2 cup water and 1/2 cup dry milk in chilled bowl. Beat on high speed until mixture forms stiff peaks(took me almost 10mins) Add in sugar,still beating,then add in extract,oil and gelatin. Place in freezer for 15mins and then transfer to fridge until ready to use. Stir mixture before using to reatin creamy mixture.

HomeMade Graham Cracker Crust..one 9 inch pie crust
1 1/2 cups Crushed Graham Crackers
1/3 cup Sugar
6 TBLSPNS. Melted Butter
1/2 tsp. Cinnamon..Optional only
Heat oven to 350 or 180 celcius. Mix all ingredients togther and press into desired pie plate. Bake for 8mins:cool and fill with pudding.