Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Roasted Pumpkin Seeds


I am sure there are 100's of blogs posting this same recipe for pumpkin seeds. I actually wasnt going to post about it because of that but this was my first time doing it so I thought I would blog about it. I think up until this point I have only had roasted pumpkin seeds once and it was so long ago I only vaguely remember it. I wanted to do this for the boys since they thought it was soo cool that you could eat the pumpkin guts..lol I was super impressed with them since they both actually ate part of the raw pumpkin when we were cutting it. I noticed something odd aswell. We tasted the american pumpkins that I grew and we tasted the dutch pumpkins that were given to us. The dutch pumpkin had a very nice sweet flavor,almost like cantaloupe and maybe the american one did too but we had such small ones to work with that we weren't able to get a nice bite from it. I have one pumpkin left and will be making my own puree in the next few weeks!

These pumpkin seeds have a very nice flavor to them. You can make these several different flavors but I went ahead and did the traditional recipe. They came out perfectly crisp and the texture is very much like eating a sunflower shell so if you are like me you can eat a handful but thats about it. My jaw hurts from all the crunching!
Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
Preheat oven to 275 or 135 celcius
1 1/2 TBLSPNS melted Butter
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/8 tsp. Garlic Salt
2 tsp. Worcestershire Sauce
2 cups Raw Pumpkin Seeds;clean all pumpkin goo off of them
Combine melted butter with the rest of the ingredients;pour over pumpkin seeds and mix threw. Spread them out in a shallow pan and Cook for one hour,stirring occasionally. You want to make sure the seeds are nice and crisp;mine were done in an hour but if you find they are still not crunchy enough leave them in longer.