Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Fruit Filled Oatmeal Bars


I love old fashioned recipes. One of my favorite cookbooks is the older Betty Crocker cookbook and Better Homes and Gardens Limited Edtion one that runs from 1930-2000. I recently aquired this one and fell in love with all the recipes. Today I set out to make the fruit-filled bars. This is a super simple recipe that is full proof and it goes great with a cup of tea or coffee. The only difference I made in this recipe is the way I cooked the apples. After they were soft I mashed them up instead of leaving them in chunks. I dont like hot chunky apples and this was more like an applesauce but thicker. Other then that I followed everything else.
Fruit-Filled Oatmeal Bars..makes 25 or so depending how you cut them up.
1 cup Flour
1 cup Quick cooking rolled Oats
2/3 cup packed Brown Sugar
1/4 tspn. Baking Soda
1/2 cup Butter or Margarine(I used butter)

**Apple Cinnamon Filling**
Peel,core and Chop 2 medium apples. In a medium pan combine apples,2 tablespoons water, 1 tablespoon lemon juice,1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and a dash of ground cloves. Bring apple mixture to a boil,reduce heat. Simmer covered for 8-10 mins or till apples are tender.

In a medium bowl combine the fkour,oats,brown sugar and baking soda. Using a pastry blender or 2 knives,cut butter till mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Reserve 1/2 cup for the topping.
Press remaining crumb mixture into the bottom of an ungreased 9x9x2 baking pan. Spread with apple filling and sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture.
Bake in a 350 degree oven or 180 celcius for 30-35 mins or until top is golden brown. Cool on wire rack and cut into bars.