Monday, November 3, 2008

Chicken Enchiladas


Wow I can't believe we are already into November! I love this time of year because it means christmas is getting closer! I am a christmas fantatic and always look forward to the baking and decorating. I laugh everytime I post my food because seriously I very rarely take a decent shot of my food..lol It's the one thing I don't have patience for. This meal was so good, I mean really good. I switched up the recipe a bit to fit my families needs. The original recipe called for only 1 1/2 cups of chicken and seriously that isnt enough when you are feeding two growing boys and a husband who loves meat. I bought a small chicken and used it all in this recipe. I also used more cream of mushroom soup( for those that live in NL I bought the dry mushroom soup pack and it says to add 1 liter of water but if you cut it by half or a little more you get a great cream of mushroom soup..do not add milk but water instead and it's more than creamy. If you make it that way leave out the 1/4 cup milk it calls for in the recipe) I added more cheese and left out onions. I bought mild chiles but wow they still packed a punch. I made sure I took all seeds out of the jar(mine didnt come already chopped up) and Im so glad I did. We all loved it except for the youngest one who politely ate all the chicken and left the chiles and ate an apple instead..lol
Chicken Enchiladas..makes 8 my way with leftovers or 6 using this recipe
1/2 tspn Garlic Powder
1(4 ounce) can diced Green Chiles
1 can Cream of Mushroom soup(I upped this probably by another can)
1/2 cup Sour Cream
1 1/2 cups cubed cooked Chicken(I added close to 4 cups)
1 cup shredded Cheese,divided (I added 3)
6 Flour Tortillas(We made 8 but our tortillas were slightly smaller)
1/4 cup milk
Preheat oven to 350 degrees or 175 celcius. Lightly grease a large baking dish. In a medium saucepan combine the cream of mushroom soup,sourcream,garlic powder,chopped green chiles,half the cheese and milk. Stir until combined and warmed. Then add your chicken and I let it cook on low for a few mins to heat the chicken up. I used a half a cup of the mixture on each of the tortillas and rolled them up and placed them seam side down in the baking dish. I had some left over so I poured the rest on top and then added the remaining cheese and baked it for 35 mins. This is a easy dish in wich you can add and take away anything you want. I would have added black olives but there are two members in the family who dont like them:(