Monday, November 24, 2008

Biscuits Supreme


I love love love biscuits..but I can not make them..until now. For anyone who struggles like me to get the dough just right please try this recipe. I have tried dozens of others only to have mine come out hard as a rock and I really suck at cutting the butter into the flour, wich is why I have yet to actually make a pie crust. I was so happy when these turned out. They rose beautifully wich I think had something to do with the cream of tartar in there. When I make these again I will add more salt into it..that was my one and only complaint about this recipe. I notice that dutch food items arent loaded down with salt like they are in the U.S. All the butters I buy have no salt added so sometimes my recipes come out tasting not exactly right. It was the same with the bread here. My tastebuds about freaked out when I tasted dutch bread..the sugar and salt content wasnt there. I love these biscuits though and see me making them with gravy really soon.
Biscuits Supreme..makes 10-12
2 cups Flour
1 TBLSPN. Baking Powder
2 tspn. Sugar
1/2 tspn. Cream of Tartar
1/4 tspn. Salt
1/2 cup Butter
2/3 cup Milk
Preheat oven to 450 degrees or 230 celcius
Stir together all dry ingredients and cut in butter with two knives or pastry blender(I used my hands) until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in center and add the milk all at once;stir until moistened.
Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface. Quickly knead dough by gently folding and pressing dough 10to12 strokes or until nearly smooth. Pat or lightly roll dough to 1/2inch thickness. Cut dough with fkoured biscuit cutter and depending on the size of cutter will determine how many you have. Bake for 10-12 mins or until lightly golden in color. Serve warm with butter,jelly or gravy.
**UPDATE..I made these again a few days later,added 1/2 tspn salt and they were perfecto.**