Thursday, October 2, 2008

Vanilla Cupcakes


For the most part I avoid my children's school like the plague. I don't believe I need to be hovering over them all the time and honestly..I couldn't stand school when I was in it so I can't imagine spending lots of time there now...don't be alarmed,I attend all parent/teacher functions and make sure my children are where they need to be learning wise. I of course believe we should all be involved when we find something that interests us. So when my youngest son came to me and said that they were having a sugar feast at school on friday I knew right away what to make!!!

My son is in the "Groene Kikkers" class wich means in english: Green Frogs. I love and collect frogs so after checking somethings online, I set out to make them. I have been hearing about Billy Reeces amazing vanilla cupcakes on several blogs and decided that since I needed a large amount I would make these. As it always happens I never have everything I need to so I end up having to make up a few things as I go along. Everything turned out fine and the cupcakes were indeed perfect! I love the very vanilla taste of these and when you pair them with Buttercream Icing..well you are in for a winner. this makes a big batch..about 30 to be exact..wich is what I came away with. The recipe calls for not self rising cake flour..well I only had self rising and I ended up adding half a tablespoon of baking powder since I had to add in regular flour anyway. I didnt have whole milk,but used 2% instead and still everything worked out fine.
Billy's Vanilla Cupcakes
1 3/4 cups Cake Flour
1 1/4 cups Flour
2 cups Sugar
1 TBLSPN Baking Powder
3/4 tspn Salt
1 cup unsalted Butter,cut into 1-inch cubes
4 Large Eggs
1 cup Whole Milk
1 tspn Pure Vanilla Extract
** Preheat oven to 325(160-170celcius). Line cupcake pans with paper liners;set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachement,combine flours,sugar,baking powder,and salt;mix on low speed until combined. Add butter,mixing until just coated with flour. On a side note I dont yet own a kitchen aid mixer and insted used my hand held one and it worked fine. In a large glass measuring cup,whisk together eggs,milk and vanilla. With mixer on medium speed,add wet ingredients in 3 parts,scraping down sides of bowl before each addition; beat until ingredients are incorporated but do not overbeat. Divide batter evenly among liners,filling 2/3 full. Bake,rotating pan halfway through,until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean..about 17-20 mins(mine were done in 20) Transfer to wire rack and cool completely. Repeat process with remaining batter. Yields about 30 cupcakes.