Monday, October 20, 2008

Maple Apple Crisp


I'm a fairly big fan of apple crisp. I have weird issues with hot apples but there is something really good and comforting about a bowl full of apple crisp with vanilla ice cream. I must admit though that I get bored with the same cinnamon,nutmeg flavor and every so often I will stray away from the original and try something new. Then I am always reminded that it isnt always a good thing to mess with what you consider to be ok in the first place. I was drawn in by the Maple in the title. I quickly went down stairs and set out to make it. The topping isnt your traditional crisp in the sense that it's not really crispy at all,more soft but equally tasty in my opinion..and I think alot of that had to do with the amount of butter that it called for. I added flour to the apples after I cut them to soak up some of the maple syrup in hopes that it would thicken it up a bit. The recipe calls for Real Maple Syrup,however I cant stand the taste of it and used regular maple syrup that I picked up at an american food store in Amsterdam. When the timer went off I noticed that it was really runny and the topping hadnt browned up so I left it in 15 mins longer. By then the juices had thickened up a bit and the topping had a nice brown color to it. I let it sit for awhile and tasted it. I was super disapointed that the maple syrup didnt come threw more. It still has a very nice flavor with just a hint of maple but I was hoping for a little more. My husband said he loved it this way and prefered for it to not be over powering with the maple. My two sons actually licked their plates clean so all in all it wasnt a total failure but not something I would make twice. I wasnt turned off by the runny juices in it..it went really well with the vanilla ice cream. It was a nice change but Im moving on to something else.
Maple Apple Crisp
5 Granny Smith apples;peeled,cored and thinly sliced
3/4 cup Maple Syrup
1/2 cup Flour
1/2 cup Oats
1/2 cup packed Brown Sugar
1/2 cup butter softened
Heat oven to 375 degrees or 190 celcius. In a bowl combine the butter,flour,oats and brown sugar mixing until it resembles a crumb type mixture;set aside. In a 8x8 inch pan spread the apples and pour maple syrup over the top and mix until all apples are coated. Sprinkle topping over the apples and place into oven. Cook for 35 mins or until the topping is golden brown. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.