Monday, October 27, 2008

Crack Macaroni and Cheese


Nope thats not a typo! We couldn't get enough of this stuff. There was complete silence from the boys as they ate (and let me tell you that is something that rarely happens during dinner time). The oldest passed on dessert so that he could get a smaller helping of crack n cheese instead. When the youngest ate it without complaint, I knew I had a winner. We are addicts and we don't care!

Back home I made another homemade version that didn't really turn out well here. I used cheddar cheese and when I used dutch cheese in place of cheddar it was a disaster. The cheese fell to the bottom and clumped..and it was just gross. I had to come up with a new way to make it.(For those who are new to my blog,you can't really buy cheddar cheese here. They have it in small bags but it costs alot and I don't like the taste of their version of what cheddar cheese is). I found various recipes on the internet and combined several of them to get just the right amount of cheese and milk and this was so perfect.
If I had to come up with one thing it would be that we have all decided that we arent a crumb topping family. I never added it to my old version and the next time I make this(I will be making it over and over again) I will leave it out. I will include it in the recipe incase you are a crumb topping family. This dish will serve atleast 6 peeps.
Crack Macaroni and Cheese..Serves 6 350 or 180 celcius
Topping:
3 TBLSPNS melted Butter
3/4 cup crushed Butter Crackers;Saltines would work fine too
While cooking pasta,crush crackers into large crumbs. Melt butter in saucepan,pour over crackers,mix and set aside. Heat oven to 350 or 180 celcius. Grease a 2 QT casserole dish and set aside.
2 cups dry Macaroni:cooked and drained
3 TBLSPNS Butter
1/4 cup finely minced Onion
3 TBLSPNS Flour
3 cups Milk
3/4 tsp Salt
3/4 tsp Ground mustard(decided not to add this)
1/4 tsp Pepper
4 cups shredded Cheese..use all one kind or several kinds
I always add my seasonings in with my milk before hand so that I don't need to worry about measuring it out when everything is needing to be added. If you havent done so,cook your pasta;drain and set aside. In a medium pan over medium heat melt butter and add onions.Cook for 2-3 mins until they become semi translucent. Add the flour;cook for 1-2 mins stirring constantly..DO NOT let it turn brown or burn. Stir in milk and seasonings: cook stirring frequently until mixture boils and becomes thick. Stir in cheese and turn off the heat. Pour cheese sauce over macaroni and mix. Pour this mixture in the greased casserole dish; sprinkle topping all over and bake for 35 mins or until bubbly and hot in the middle. On a side note I also didnt add in the onions but all the recipes out there call for them. We arent big onion eaters at all.