Sunday, October 26, 2008

Cocoa Brownies


Once and awhile I crave brownies. It isnt often though because they are always a little bit on the decadent side to me. I can eat one and I'm happy for the next 6 months. It was time again to make a batch when a very nice blogger by the name of Decora sent me a kilos worth of dutch cocoa in thanks for something I sent her. I've never baked with unsweetened cocoa before and now I understand the wonderful flavor of it. So thank you Decora! This brownie recipe is super simple and there are probably a thousand better recipes out there..but this works for us. Feel free to add in another cups worth of whatever you like..m&m's,nuts,peanutbutter chips. I added in 1/2 cup of creamy peanutbutter to ours and we loved it.
Cocoa Brownies
1/2 cup Butter.melted
1/2 cup Unsweetened Cocoa
1 cup Sugar
2 Eggs
2 tsp Vanilla
1/2 cup Flour
1/4 tsp Salt
1 additional cup of whatever you want in there.
Preheat oven to 350 or 180celcius. Grease 8 inch sqaure pan and set aside. In medium bowl combine melted butter and cocoa and stir until cocoa is dissolved. Add sugar and mix well. Add eggs one at a time and mix well after each one. Stir in vanilla, flour and salt and mix until you no longer see flour(make sure to NOT overmix). Stir in the additional ingredients of whatever you like,mixing in and then spread into the pan. Bake for 25 mins making sure to not overbake. I tend to like mine a little on the underdone side and by the time it cools off it has finished baking on the inside. 25 mins worked for us with having the toothpick inserted in the middle coming out jsut about done. Cool slightly and serve with vanilla ice cream or alone.